New Zealand, we are coming!

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Growing Pea Shoots

Monday, December 18, 2017

It's been a while for not writing.
Well, doesn't have too much to share, not much thought going on.
This might be my last post of 2017.

Okay, enough talking.
Thought I can share my successful story of growing Pea shoot.
Yeah! I must be inheriting the love of gardening from my parents.
My dad grows, my mom grows, so now I grow my own food!

It is soooOO satisfying, watching those little creatures changing every single day!
And.... growing Pea shoot is so easy, imagine those delicious green shoots on the table.......
YUMMYLICIOUS~


So, originally... people grow pea shoots from Snow Pea seeds.
But, I am unable to find place selling Snow pea seeds in bulk, and when we grow shoots, is better to buy in bulk as the price is way for cheap than the one we buy in small packet.

So, I am not choice but to use the Pea Fiji Feather as an experiment, and it turns out yummy.
Taste quite similar to the pea shoots (豆苗) I have before.
It only costs me NZD 7.25 for a 1kg bag!!!
I bought it from the Kings Seed website, click on the link if you are interested --> Seed to start growing your own?


So let's start!!!

In a flat container, pour in the seed mix. Roughly around 3cm in depth.
Try to pat down the soil as flat as possible so that we can have an average distribution of seeds.


Give the soil a bit watering and spread the seeds evenly. Leave some space in between as the seeds absorb the water they will expand... (Some people soak the seeds for 24 hours before sowing but I think direct grow is easier, skip 1 step!!!)




Lastly, lay a bit more soil on top of the seed just enough to cover them, to reduce the chance of the seeds growing mold. But remember is JUST ENOUGH to cover... Mist with water and you are good to go!!!!


It is only my second day and you can see the seeds are expanding trying to push up the soil~ Good sign indeed~ Looking forward for my 2nd batch of Pea sprouts. I keep my pea shoots in the green house, warm environment helps with the sprouting.


This is my 1st batch pea shoots and look at their beautiful tendrils.
Cafes in New Zealand tend to use this Pea shoots to garnish their meal.


By the way, you may harvest the pea shoot more than 1 time, just harvest 1 - 1.5cm above the soil, and watch them re-grow. Tho I am not sure if I will get the same amount of shoots like earlier.

**FYI, shoots from the whole container is only enough to stir-fry for 2 pax.



No comments :